Jump to Navigation

Facet Browse

Curriculum -- The Kansas Journey (Remove)
Business and Industry (Remove)
Date (Remove)
People -- Children (Remove)
Type of Material -- Photographs (Remove)
Page 1 of 1, showing 8 records out of 8 total, starting on record 1, ending on 8

<< previous| | next >>

Title | Creator | Date Made Visible | None

H. F. Davis Meat Market, Colby, Kansas

This is a view of the H. F. Davis meat market in Colby, Kansas. "Harry F. Davis, in white apron, mans the meat counter in this photo taken near the turn of the century. Meat is displayed on hooks at the rear of the shop and on the marble counter. Harry became sole owner of the meat market in 1890 and the business lasted over a half a century, closing its doors in the early 1940s." - from the Prairie Winds newsletter March 1992 published by the Thomas County Historical Society, Colby, KS.

previewthumb

John Goodwine Grape Vineyard in Ford County, Kansas

View of a man, women, and children standing in the John Goodwine Vineyard located southwest of Dodge City in Ford County, Kansas.

previewthumb

Girl feeding chickens

A photograph showing Marion Ritchie feeding chickens on the Ritchie farm located at 29th and Burlingame Road in Shawnee County, Kansas.

previewthumb

Family with their sod house, Decatur County, Kansas

This is a photograph of an unidentified family standing in front of their sod house near Norcatur, Decatur County, Kansas. Visible in the photograph is a windmill.

previewthumb

Alden school bus

This is the first school bus purchased by Alden School (Rice County), Consolidated School District No. 9, in 1920.

previewthumb

Grangers versus hoppers

Henry Worrall, 1825-1902

This is a copy of a cartoon by Kansas artist Henry Worrall showing Kansas farmers (Grangers) battling grasshoppers. The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was originally founded with the idea of educating and connecting farmers within America. The first Grange was set up in Fredonia, New York. From there granges spread across the U.S., providing classes and social events to farmers. The first Kansas Grange was organized in 1872 at Hiawatha. Within a few years, more than 1,000 Granges claiming more than 30,000 members had been established across the state. Read more about the Grange in Kansapedia.

previewthumb

Kansas Pastoral mural

This colored photograph shows the "Kansas Pastoral" by John Steuart The mural is located on the second floor, west corridor, of the state capitol in Topeka, Kansas.

previewthumb

Milking cows on a farm in Riley County, Kansas

A photograph showing Nellie Zimmerman White milking a cow while her daughter, Flora White, watches. The dairy farm was located east of the Kaw River bridge across from Manhattan.

previewthumb
<< previous| | next >>