Jump to Navigation

Facet Browse

Date (Remove)
Objects and Artifacts (Remove)
Business and Industry (Remove)
Transportation (Remove)
Type of Material -- Photographs (Remove)
Date -- 1910s (Remove)
Collections -- Photograph (Remove)
Business and Industry -- Services (Remove)
Page 1 of 9, showing 10 records out of 86 total, starting on record 1, ending on 10

<< previous| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9|

Title | Creator | Date Made Visible | None

Land buyers visit Satanta, Haskell County, Kansas

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

View of James Septer Patrick's business building (Jas. S. Patrick Agent for Satanta Lots And Santa Fe Lands) in Satanta, Kansas. Also visible in the photograph are the Deal building and a water tower, both under construction, and people seated in four automobiles. The first two cars contain land buyers from Wichita, Kansas (only John Jacob Miller, seated next to the driver in the first car, is identified ), the third car contains Mr. and Mrs. John Henry Johnson from Sublette, Kansas, and James Septer Patrick is alone in the fourth car. Note the steering wheels are on the right side of the cars.

previewthumb

Spectators gathered at new foundation for the Rutledge Hotel in Sublette, Kansas

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

This is a view of people with their automobiles at the newly excavated foundation for the Rutledge Hotel in Sublette, Kansas. Also visible are the Rutledge tent restaurant and hotel for railroad workers on the left, and a freight train in the background.

previewthumb

Moving S.E. Cave's office building from Santa Fe to Sublette, Kansas

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

This is a view of workers using wagons and mules to move S. E. Cave's office building from Santa Fe, Kansas, to the new Haskell County seat in Sublette, Kansas. The James S. Patrick Real Estate office, left, was later moved to Satanta, Kansas. In the background, behind the S. E. Cave building, is the original Haskell County Courthouse building. Santa Fe pioneers fought hard for a railroad for Haskell County, but when it came in 1913, it missed Santa Fe, the original county seat, by seven miles. In 1920, the county seat was moved to Sublette, Kansas, which had prospered by being on the Santa Fe railroad line, and Santa Fe faded away into a ghost town.

previewthumb

F. M. Steele's photography wagon

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

View of F. M. (Francis Marion) Steele's photography wagon with a young girl on horseback in the foreground and a herd of cattle in the background.

previewthumb

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Fred Harvey House and El Garces Hotel

Fred Harvey (Firm)

This photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, Fred Harvey House, and the El Garces Hotel in Needles, California. The hotel was named after Father Francisco Garces, a Spanish missionary, and was designed in the Neoclassical and Beaux-Arts style. The El Garces Hotel closed in 1949 and became an office building. The office building and depot were closed in 1998. On May 17, 2002, the El Garces Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

previewthumb

Brewery album

A photograph album containing 37 photographs of saloons, Turner Halls, breweries, Shawnee County Courthouse, and shipping and delivery of beer in northeast Kansas.

previewthumb

Pullman car advertising Kansas land

View of a group of men and women, who are either standing or seated in automobiles alongside a solitary Pullman car which bears a sign advertising "Thurman & Alexander Lands -- Kansas." Also visible are a railway employee standing on the steps of the Pullman car, and a house in the distance.

previewthumb

L. W. Halbe Collection

Halbe, L. W. (Leslie Winfield), 1893-1981

The L. W. (Leslie Winfield) Halbe photo collection consists of 1500 glass plate negatives produced by Halbe during his teenage years. Halbe lived in Dorrance, Russell County, Kansas, and began taking photographs of the region with an inexpensive Sears and Roebuck camera when he was fifteen years old.

previewthumb

Drug stores on Broadway Street, Marysville, Kansas

These photographs show four views at different times of drug stores and other businesses on Broadway Street in Marysville, Kansas. The first photograph shows Broadway looking east around 1873, with a building marked "Drug Store" visible on the right side of the street. The second photograph shows a view looking west on Broadway (although the caption calls it Main Street) around 1911, with a sign for "E. D. Vincent, Druggist" visible on the side of a building. An unusual sight in this photograph is a man standing on the top of a utility pole, visible just below the right end of the druggist sign. The third photograph, also from 1911, shows Broadway looking east, with the sign for E. D. Vincent's Drug Store barely visible in the background of the right side of the street. The fourth photograph shows almost the same view of Broadway looking west around the 1920s. The sign on the building reads "A and B Drug Company, the Rexall Store." The first two photographs have horses and carriages visible, the third photograph has both carriages and automobiles visible, and the fourth photograph has numerous automobiles visible along the street.

previewthumb

Tully-McFarland Drug Company, Topeka, Kansas

These three photographs show exterior views of the Tully-McFarland Drug Company located on the northwest corner of 9th Street and Kansas Avenue in Topeka, Kansas. In the first photograph, signs on the front of the store read, "The Rexall Store," and advertise for cigars, candies, prescriptions, and Coca-Cola. Various items are partially visible in the store windows. A standing weighing scale is in the doorway outside the store. The second photograph shows a view looking down the sidewalk past the front of the store. Other business signs visible along the block include signs reading, "Doctors Lindsay," "Avalon Bar," and "Jewelers." A few people are visible walking along the sidewalk, and an automobile is visible parked at the curb. The third photograph shows a view looking past the corner of the drug store towards buildings across the street. Items in the drug store window are labeled, "Trutone, the Strength Maker." A sign advertising the musical comedy "My Home Town Girl" on Tuesday, February 8, indicates the year is 1916. A sign on a building in the background advertises Owl Cigars for 5 cents.

previewthumb
<< previous| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9|

Date

Objects and Artifacts

Business and Industry

Transportation

Type of Material -- Photographs

Date -- 1910s

Collections -- Photograph

Business and Industry -- Services

Agriculture

Built Environment

Community Life

Curriculum

Education

Environment

Government and Politics

Home and Family

Military

People

Places

Thematic Time Period

Type of Material