Jump to Navigation

Facet Browse

Objects and Artifacts -- Communication Artifacts (Remove)
Business and Industry -- Occupations/Professions -- Surveyors (Remove)
Date (Remove)
Page 1 of 3, showing 10 records out of 25 total, starting on record 1, ending on 10

<< previous| 1 | 2 | 3|

Title | Creator | Date Made Visible | None

United States Office of Indian Affairs, Central Superintendency, St. Louis, Missouri. Volume 9, Correspondence

United States. Office of Indian Affairs. Central Superintendency

This volume contains correspondence sent by the Office of Indian Affairs, Central Superintendency in St. Louis, Missouri from 1847-1855. The correspondence was sent by the Superintendents of Indian Affairs to the Commissioners of Indian Affairs. During this period the superintendents included Thomas H. Harvey, David D. Mitchell, and Alfred Cumming; the commissioners included William Medill, Orlando Brown, Luke Lea, and George Washington Manypenny. Topics of discussion focused on the appropriation of federal funds for treaties, the hiring and firing of Indian agents, and the transportation and storage of goods and supplies. Partial funding for the digitization of these records was provided by the National Park Service. A searchable, full-text (PDF) transcription is available under "External Links" below.

previewthumb

Planning move to Menninger West Campus in Topeka, Kansas

These three photographs show the Menninger planning committee focusing on the move of the Children's Division to West Campus, and surveyors at work. In May, 1925, The Menninger Sanitarium Corporation purchased the 20 acre farm and the farmhouse became the clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. In 1982, the "West Campus", a much larger area was developed west of Topeka. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation moved to Houston, Texas.

previewthumb

Mr. O. Leroy Sedgwick

A photograph of Mr. O. Leroy Sedgwick. He established the Pottawatomi Land Office in St. Marys in 1870, and four years later began publishing a newspaper. In August 1878, he moved his land office to Rossville. The newspaper, The Kansas Valley Times, was moved to Rossville from St. Marys in February 1879. It was published until his death in 1881, and in June of 1882 was sold to the Kansas Valley Publishing Company in Topeka. This photograph is provided through a pilot project to host unique cultural heritage materials from local libraries on Kansas Memory and was accomplished by mutual agreement between the Northeast Kansas Library System, the Rossville Community Library, and the Kansas Historical Society.

previewthumb

Dr. H. C. Perdue's Neosho County Advertiser, Erie, Kansas

This pamphlet titled The Neosho County Advertiser was published by Dr. H. C. Perdue, M. D., in Erie, Kansas. It contains approximately 50 pages of descriptions of medical cures and other advertising. Descriptions of Dr. Perdue's Ague Cure and other medical treatments are on pages 2-28, and other advertisements are on pages 29-49, plus the inside and outside of the back cover. Besides information on Dr. Perdue's medical practice, there are numerous advertisements for drug stores. Drug stores listed in the advertisements (and their town locations, all in Kansas) include: Palace Drug Store, Erie; Ira Steinberger Drug Store, Erie; New City Drug Store, Erie; Dr. C. E. Steadman, Druggist, Osage Mission; I. N. Wherrett General Merchandise and Drugs, Vietsburg; M. Devine, Druggist, Osage Mission; Baldwin House Drug Store, Thayer; W. R. Kramer, Druggist, Chanute; John McCarthy, Druggist, Galesburg; and Mrs. Samuel Whelpley, Druggist, Morehead. Druggists listed as references for Dr. Perdue include Charles H. Eaton and J. T. Brown, both of Erie. Other businesses and professions advertised include attorneys, real estate agents, merchants, banks, doctors, clothing stores, millinery and dress making stores, grocery stores, jewelry stores, candy stores, cigar stores, meat markets, bakeries, livery stables, abstracters, tree nurseries, buggy harness stores, carpenters, hardware stores, fur dealers, barber shops, lumber companies, monument dealers, dry goods, dentists, hotels, and furniture stores.

previewthumb

James Barnes Whitaker correspondence

This collection includes materials related to all aspects of James Barnes Whitaker's professional life, including his real estate business and his legal career, particularly for the pensioners he helped. He came to Tecumseh, Shawnee County in 1856 and worked there as a surveyor. In 1857, he moved to Topeka where he remained, serving as county sheriff, surveyor, and Topeka city engineer. He owned an abstract and real estate business in Topeka and was an attorney, representing numerous Civil War veterans in obtaining disability pensions, many of whom served in Kansas units. The collection consists of Whitaker's correspondence (arranged chronologically) and Whitaker's 1857 certificate of appointment as a U.S. Deputy Marshal.

previewthumb

Surveyors at the Great Reservoir in Finney County, Kansas

Steele and Hoke

A photograph showing surveyors at the Great Reservoir in Finney County, Kansas. This photograph was taken six months before two surveyors drowned in the reservoir.

previewthumb

Surveying crew in camp

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

This is a photograph of a surveying party in camp. The identification of the surveying party members and the location of the camp is unknown.

previewthumb

Rush County Courthouse, La Crosse, Kansas

This photograph shows H. A. Russell, county superintendent and surveyor of Rush County, at his desk inside the county courthouse in La Crosse, Kansas.

previewthumb

Surveyors possibly in Seward County, Kansas

Steele, F. M. (Francis Marion), 1866-1936

This is a photograph showing surveyors, teams of horses, automobiles, and a group of unidentified people. The photograph was taken, possibly, in Seward County, Kansas. It appears one of the teams is hooked to a plow. This group may have been involved in the construction of canals across southwest Kansas.

previewthumb

Mark W. Delahay certificate of appointment

United States. President (1861-1865 : Lincoln)

This certificate appoints Mark W. Delahay, Surveyor General of the United States for the District of Kansas and Nebraska. The certificate is signed by Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, and Caleb B. Smith, Secretary of the Interior.

previewthumb
<< previous| 1 | 2 | 3|

Objects and Artifacts -- Communication Artifacts

Date

Agriculture

Built Environment

Business and Industry

Collections

Community Life

Education

Environment

Government and Politics

Home and Family

Military

People

Places

Thematic Time Period

Transportation

Type of Material