Jump to Navigation


GLOBE
[Documentary Artifact]


missing
View at Kansas Memory

Accession Number: 1908.30.3

Physical Description: Terrestrial globe on brass stand. Wooden globe covered in off-white paper with black print. Sphere revolves inside engraved brass meridian, and is supported by turned brass column weighted with plaster on interior. Individual United States are not noted on the map, but rather cities and rivers. At Kansas, the only town is Lecompton, indicating the globe probably was produced during its term as territorial capital.

History of Object: This globe was used at the Delaware Baptist Mission by American Indian pupils under the instruction of Rev. John Gill Pratt. The mission opened around 1836, but Pratt did not take charge until 1847. It was located in present-day Wyandotte County near the town of Edwardsville. The mission closed in 1867-1868 when the Delaware tribe was removed to Indian Territory. The donors were the daughter and daughter-in-law of Rev. Pratt. The globe?s manufacturer, Holbrook School Apparatus Company, formed around 1854. The only Kansas town on the map is Lecompton, territorial capital from 1855 to 1861.

Date: Between 1855 and 1860

Dimensions (in cm): 39.00 (H) 23.20 (W)

Marks/Inscriptions: [printed on globe in Pacific Ocean] Eight Inch / TERRESTRIAL GLOBE / with the latest discoveries / and Oceanic currents / NEW YORK & CHICAGO / Holbrook School Apparatus Co. [back of brass ring near bottom] 153 ||

Index Terms

Associations and Subjects

    Use, Place of: Wyandotte County (Kan.)
    Use, Place of: Delaware Indian Reservation (Kan.)
    Group: Delaware Indians
    Group: Missionaries
    Use, Place of: Missions
    Use, Place of: Kansas Territory
    Group: Native Americans
    Use, Place of: Delaware Baptist Mission

Creators and Contributors

    Holbrook School Apparatus Company

Status: Cataloged

For more information, please contact our museum staff.