Jump to Navigation


CUP
[Food Service Tools and Equipment]


missing
View at Kansas Memory

Accession Number: 1958.147.1

Physical Description: Hand-wrought iron drinking cup used by the late Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine in one of his sanitation campaigns. Used in Fort Scott, Kansas.

History of Object: The cup was attached to a rock by the Sulphur Spring public spring near Fort Scott around 1800 and saw continuous use until communal drinking cups were banned by the Kansas State Board of Health in 1909. The cup was replaced by a sanitary drinking fountain on November 1, 1911. Dr. Samuel J. Crumbine, Director of the Board of Health, used the cup in his public health and sanitation campaigns, and it was later displayed at the Paper Cup and Container Institute in New York.

Date: Between 1800 and 1920

Dimensions (in cm): L: 33 5/8"; H: 2 1/2"; Diam: 4 3/4"

Index Terms

Associations and Subjects

    Use, Place of: Bourbon County (Kan.)
    Use, Place of: Fort Scott (Kan.)
    Individual: Crumbine, Samuel J. (Samuel Jay), 1862-1954

Status: Inventoried

Only basic data is available online for this object. For further assistance, please contact our museum staff.