Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Osage County Courthouse

Picture of property 717 Topeka Avenue
Lyndon (Osage County)
Listed in National Register 2007-04-18

Architect: Not listed
Category: correctional facility; courthouse
Thematic Nomination: Historic County Courthouses of Kansas

The dedication of the Osage County Courthouse on April 27, 1923 marked the end of a decades-long battle over the rightful seat of Osage County government. County-seat designation was critical to growing towns in the nineteenth century when county seats were centers of community life in an agriculture-based society. In 1875, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled that Lyndon was the rightful county seat. However, rival cities continued to attempt to wrest control from Lyndon. In order to secure its place as county seat, Lyndon constructed a permanent county courthouse. Osage County hired Hutchinson-based architect William E. Hulse, who specialized in Classical Revival designs, to plan the new building in 1923. The courthouse is significant as a local example of an early twentieth century revival style.



New Search