Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Mackie, George K., House

Picture of property 1941 Massachusetts St
Lawrence (Douglas County)
Listed in National Register 2009-07-08

Architect: Drake, H. Alexander
Category: single dwelling; clubhouse
Thematic Nomination: Historic Resources of Lawrence (2001)

George Mackie commissioned this impressive Neoclassical Revival-style residence in 1917. It is located on a large corner lot south of downtown Lawrence on Massachusetts Street. Mackie’s family first settled in Cherokee County in 1883 when he was just 15 years old. He grew up around the coal-mining industry, and in 1906, he organized the George K. Mackie Fuel Company. The Mackie-Clemens Coal Company is still in business in Crawford County. In 1937, Mackie's widow sold the house to the Lawrence Women's Club, which used it as a place for social gatherings and meetings until 1975. The house, designed by H. Alexander Drake of Kansas City, is a textbook example of the Neoclassical Revival style and includes such features as a monumental portico, side wing porch, roofline and front porch balustrades, and heavy window and door surrounds. It was nominated as part of the "Historic Resources of Lawrence" multiple property lubmission for its architectural significance.



New Search