Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Leavenworth Terminal Railway & Bridge Company Freight Depot

Picture of property 306 S 7th St
Leavenworth (Leavenworth County)
Listed in National Register 2009-05-06

Architect: unknown
Category: rail-related
Thematic Nomination: Historic Railroad Resources of Kansas

The Leavenworth Terminal Railway and Bridge Company formed in 1892 with the goal of building a second bridge across the Missouri River at Leavenworth and expanding the city's railroad infrastructure. The company soon erected the Terminal Bridge, which carried railroad traffic, vehicles, and pedestrians from the town of Stillings on the Missouri side of the river to Leavenworth, landing at Choctaw Street. The company also constructed a freight depot and rail yard at Seventh and Choctaw Streets to service the railroad that leased its tracks. The building clearly conveys its historic function as a freight depot and features a rectangular footprint with the long axis aligned paralleling the railroad tracks; brick and wood construction; a combined massing of one- and two-story blocks; and multiple large freight bays in the long elevations. The Terminal Depot served its historic function into the late 20th century. It was nominated as part of the "Historic Railroad Resources of Kansas" multiple property listing for its association with local transportation history and its architectural significance as a good example of a railroad freight house constructed in Kansas at the end of the 19th century.



New Search