Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Eylar, Matthew, Barn No. 2

Picture of property 5.5 miles southeast of Denton
Denton (Doniphan County)
Listed in National Register 1987-05-07

Architect: unknown
Category: animal facility
Thematic Nomination: Byre and Bluff Barns of Doniphan County

The Mathew Eylar Barn No. 2 was constructed in 1933 and is located on the Anderson Farm near Denton. It is a one-story, central entrance, vertically planked, metal sheathed, and gambrel roof barn, built into the side of a bluff with a cement supporting wall. This structure was originally used as a stock barn for Angus cattle and is now used for light machinery, hay storage and houses some animals. This barn was nominated as one of the 18 Byre and Bluff barns of Doniphan County. A common feature of these barns is that at least one side of the foundation is embedded in an earthen bank or bluff. These barns are an example of vernacular architecture built to take advantage of the hilly topography and are significant for their relative rarity and architecture.



New Search