Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Butts, J. Arch, Packard Building

Picture of property 1525 E. Douglas Avenue
Wichita (Sedgwick County)
Listed in National Register 2011-07-05

Architect: Schmidt Boucher Overend
Category: specialty store
Thematic Nomination: Roadside Kansas

J. Arch Butts commissioned a new building for his Packard Auto Dealership in 1930, to be located at 1525 East Douglas Avenue on Wichita's rapidly developing "Auto Row." It was home to Butts Auto Company until the early 1940s and later to Hobbs Chevrolet until the early 1960s. The two-story concrete building is a classic example of a 1930s car dealership, with Modern style and detailing. Distinguishing features include a once-lighted auto display window over the ground-floor entrance and a white glazed terra cotta exterior on the front half of the building. The upper facade is characterized by a horizontal band of metal windows. The building was nominated as part of the "Roadside Kansas" multiple property submission for its local significance in the areas of commerce and architecture.



New Search