Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Eureka ATSF Depot

Picture of property 416 E 5th Street
Eureka (Greenwood County)
Listed in National Register 2013-01-02

Architect: Harrison, E. A.
Category: rail-related
Thematic Nomination: Historic Railroad Resources of Kansas

The Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe (ATSF) Depot in Eureka was built in 1917 during a period of economic boom in south-central Kansas after the discovery of oil in Greenwood and Butler counties. This second-generation station was located on the Howard Branch, a 75-mile section of the ATSF line that connected Emporia in Lyon County to the north with Moline to the south in Elk County. It functioned as a combination depot that served both railway passengers and freight customers. The depot's passenger service ended in the mid-1950s, and its freight business ended in 1971. The Prairie and Craftsman-style station is a one-story brick and stucco building trimmed with decorative wood corbels and has a tile roof. It was designed by ATSF architect E. A. Harrison and chief engineer C.F.W. Felt - both of Chicago. Harrison designed many impressive buildings while working for the railroad, several of which are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The only other Kansas depot designed by Harrison that is listed in the National Register is in Newton. The Eureka ATSF depot was nominated for its local significance in the areas of transportation and architecture.



New Search