Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Frisco Freight Depot

Picture of property 210 E 4th St.
Pittsburg (Crawford County)
Listed in National Register 2017-07-10

Architect: Unknown
Category: rail-related
Thematic Nomination: Historic Railroad Resources of Kansas

The 1928 Frisco Freight Depot sits on property formerly owned by the Frisco Railroad and its subsidiaries since 1877. This building is the third–and only remaining–depot constructed at this location in Pittsburg. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Pittsburg was a hub for rail traffic, mostly due to the proliferation of the region’s coal mining production. During the town’s railroad heyday, Pittsburg was served by at least five railroads, each with their own local depot (freight, passenger, or combination). Frisco’s 1928 freight depot is the only extant depot in town and only one of a few freight-only depots left in the state of Kansas. Although in use in the waning years of rail traffic, this building is significant for its association with Pittsburg’s railroad history from its construction in 1928 to 1958 when the depot ceased to be used for freight transfer. This building is also significant as a rare and highly intact example of its type.



New Search