Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Shawnee Methodist Mission

Picture of property 53rd and Mission Road
Fairway (Johnson County)
Listed in National Register 1966-10-15

National Historic Landmark, 5/23/1968

Architect: Not listed
Category: church school

Shawnee Mission was one of many established as a manual training school attended by boys and girls from Shawnee, Delaware, and other Indian nations from 1839 to 1862. At the height of its activity, Shawnee Mission was an establishment of 2,000 acres with 16 buildings, including three large brick structures, which still stand. The school was abandoned in 1864 and for the next sixty years the building served variously as Union Army barracks, a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments, and a boarding house. In 1927, the state bought the three remaining buildings and began restoration work and landscaping on the 12-acre grounds. The property was nominated to the National Register in 1968.



New Search