Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Fort Scott National Cemetery

Picture of property 900 E National Ave
Fort Scott (Bourbon County)
Listed in National Register 1999-07-15

Architect: Montgomery C. Meigs
Category: cemetery
Thematic Nomination: Civil War Era National Cemeteries

The Fort Scott National Cemetery is approximately a mile-and-a-half southeast of the former military post and downtown. Fort Scott was established by the US Army in 1842 to protect Indians and settlers along what was then considered to be the permanent Indian frontier. Troops participated in the Mexican War and missions of western exploration. The post was abandoned by the military in 1853. With the outbreak of the Civil War, the fort was reactivated in 1862 and this cemetery was established, replacing the old post cemetery that had become the town graveyard. The site includes a lodge designed in the Second Empire style by Brigadier General Montgomery C. Meigs and constructed in 1876. The nominated area includes 10.5 acres with nine contributing and three non-contributing resources. It was nominated as part of the "Civil War Era Cemeteries" multiple property nomination for its national significance in the areas of military history and architecture.



New Search