Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Canton Township Carnegie Library

Picture of property 300 North Main
Canton (McPherson County)
Listed in National Register 1987-06-25

Architect: Washburn and Stookey
Category: library
Thematic Nomination: Carnegie Libraries of Kansas

With the assistance of a $6,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation Library Building Program, the Canton Township Carnegie Library was completed in 1921. It was one of 63 Carnegie-funded libraries built in Kansas during the first three decades of the 20th century. This building was designed by architects George P. Washburn and his son-in-law Roy Stookey, and exhibits a utilitarian character with some Prairie-style details. It was nominated as part of the "Carnegie Libraries of Kansas" multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of education and architecture.



New Search