Jump to Navigation

National and State Registers of Historic Places

Grant County Courthouse District

Picture of property 108 South Glenn Street
Ulysses (Grant County)
Listed in National Register 2002-04-26

Architect: Smith & English (Architect) JM Fuller (Contractor)
Category: courthouse
Thematic Nomination: Historic County Courthouses of Kansas

Constructed in 1930, the Grant County Courthouse replaced a wood frame structure that had been utilized since 1888. The Hutchinson architecture firm Smith and English designed the building and J. M. Fuller was contractor. The building marries classical forms with Art Deco styling with linear projections, terra-cotta ornamentation, and decorative brickwork. Two one-story annexes run perpendicular to the courthouse, contributing to the district, and continue the streamlined details introduced in the original Art Deco design. The district was nominated as part of the "Historic County courthouses of Kansas Multiple Property Submission" for its architecture and it association with the history and development of Kansas county courthouses.



New Search