Jump to Navigation

As Published - May 1947

May 1947 (Vol. 15 No. 2), pages 214 to 220.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.

Early-day recollections of Mrs. Alma Fisher, New Cambria, concerning Salina and the Gypsum valley were printed in the Salina Journal, April 13, 1946. She said Mount Tabor school received its name at the suggestion of J. M. Preshaw, a Methodist minister residing at Solomon, who conducted a Sunday school in the community. Mrs. Fisher settled with her family in the Gypsum valley in 1878.

The seventy-fifth anniversary of the selection of the townsite of Great Bend in 1871 was noted in the Great Bend Tribune, June 6, 1946. D. Bryan Baker claimed to have built the first permanent, private residence there in March, 1871, with lumber obtained in Russell, the article said. The nearest railroad switch at the time the house was built was Fossil Siding on the Kansas Pacific. A letter from J. C. Ruppenthal, of Russell, published in the Tribune, June 13, 1946, pointed out that the Kansas Pacific established a water station at Fossil creek when the railroad was built through Russell county in 1867, and that a siding known as Fossil Siding was soon constructed, but that the town of Russell had not been laid out at the time Baker erected his residence at Great Bend.

The Indian raid on the Benjamin White homestead in Cloud county in 1868 was recalled in an article in the Concordia Blade-Empire, August 28, 1946. Mr. White was killed in the attack, his son, Martin A., was wounded by a spear, and a daughter, Sarah, kidnaped. Government troops obtained release of the daughter months later. Another daughter, now Mrs. E. M. French of Jamestown, found safety by hiding with her mother in underbrush. Martin A. White, a resident of Oregon, observed his ninety-first birthday, August 15, the Blade-Empire said. A drawing of the pioneer home of Benjamin White appeared with the article. Early-day views of the Renard Bro's. store and the fire laddies posed in front of the Concordia city hall and fire department building were printed in the Blade-Empire August 29.

Dr. Edward Bumgardner discussed the battle of Hickory Point, fought 90 years ago in Jefferson county, in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, September 11, 1946. After a skirmish, Proslavery men at Hickory Point surrendered to Free-Staters led by Col. James A. Harvey, but the Free-State men were themselves taken prisoners by United States dragoons about five miles from the scene of the en-



counter and placed in custody of the territorial militia. Housed under wretched conditions at Lecompton, the imprisoned Free-Staters issued an appeal to the "American People." Dr. Bumgardner names in his article the prisoners who signed the appeal.

The sixtieth anniversary of the Excelsior Lutheran church, located eight miles east of Wilson, was observed on October 6, 1946. A history of the church, by Mrs. Charles Bowers, was printed in part in the Ellsworth Messenger, October 10. The anniversary of the church also was noted in the Wilson World of October 9.

A page history of the Ford Congregational Church, founded in the middle 1880's, was featured in the Bucklin Banner, October 10, 1946.

A brief history of The Phillips County Review, of Phillipsburg, was printed by the Review October 10, 1946, on the twenty-fifth anniversary of its founding. McDill Boyd is the present editor.

The question of how Stillwater, Okla., received its name is discussed by Dr. B. B. Chapman in the Stillwater (Okla.) News-Press, October 13, 1946. Stillwater creek was known by that name before a town called "Stillwater" was located on its banks, he said. The Stillwater Town Company was organized at Winfield and chartered May 14, 1889, according to Dr. Chapman.

Early-day reminiscences written by the late Rev. Isaac Mooney, pioneer Congregational minister, were published in the Western Butler County Times, Towanda, October 17 and November 14, 1946. The Rev. Mr. Mooney platted the Towanda townsite in June, 1870, and while a member of the legislature in the early 1870's opposed attempts to divide Butler county. Experiences of pioneer life in 1868, written by the late A. W. Stearns, also were printed in the November 14 issue.

A brief historical sketch of Grand Centre post office, established in the early 1870's on Wolf creek in Russell county near the Osborne county line, was published in the Osborne Farmer-Journal, October 31, 1946. This post office subsequently was moved to Osborne county. In 1879 a survey was made at Grand Centre and a town laid out, but the plat was never recorded, according to the Farmer-Journal.

Incidents in the early life of Navarre and Belle Springs communities were described at a meeting of the Dickinson County Historical Society at Navarre, October 18, 1946. Navarre was named by Peter Wrightsman, A. L. Shank recalled. The Rev. Homer Engle related


the legend of how Belle Springs community obtained its name. Papers presented at the meeting were reviewed briefly in the Abilene Reflector-Chronicle, November 7, 1946.

Recollections of E. P. Rochester concerning the abandoned town of Pence City, which was situated 20 miles northwest of Scott City, were printed in the Scott City News-Chronicle, November 21, 1946. Rochester, now a resident of San Antonio, Tex., moved with his parents to Pence City from Ashland, Ill., in November, 1886, and learned to set type on the Pence Phonograph. The Pence Town Company was chartered October 12, 1886.

The importance of the part this state has played for the past sixty years in the production of salt is reviewed in an article entitled "Kansas and the Nation's Salt," by Robert Taft, professor of chemistry, University of Kansas, in the December, 1946, issue of the Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, Lawrence. Among other articles of interest to Kansans were: "A Survey of the Fossil Vertebrates of Kansas; The Reptiles," by H. H. Lane, and "The Number of Exceptional Children in Kansas," by Homer B. Reed.

A brief history of Russell Lodge No. 177, A. F. & A. M., of Russell, was printed in the Kansas Masonic Digest, Wichita, in January, 1947. The dispensation for the lodge was granted on November 26, 1877.

Feature articles of interest to Kansans in recent issues of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star were: A review of the work of the University of Kansas Press, January 6, 1947; "Reorganization of Kansas State Guard Recalls Military History in the State," by Cecil Howes, January 15; a description of the governor's mansion, by Robert H. Clark, February 9; some notes on the writings of the late Dr. Charles M. Sheldon, author of In His Steps, February 19, and "Kansas Marriage Laws Have Followed Liberal Tradition of Pioneer Days," February 24, by Cecil Howes; "Allen Crafton Has Directed One Hundred Plays at K. U.," by James Gunn, March 9. Articles in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times included: "Meaning of `Topeka' Stirs Lively Arguments in the Kansas Capital," December 28, 1946, and a story on how handwritten records of William Clark were acquired by the Kansas Historical Society, March 17, 1947, both by Cecil Howes.

A list of state representatives from Ellsworth county for the period of 1868-1947, which shows the sessions each served in the legislature,


was printed in the Wilson World, January 8, 1947. The list was compiled by J. C. Ruppenthal of Russell.

The history of the Dutch windmill in Wamego city park was reviewed in articles in The Christian Science Monitor, Boston, and Northwestern Miller, Minneapolis, Minn., which were republished in the Wamego Times, January 9, 1947. The article in The Christian Science Monitor was also reprinted in the Wamego Reporter, January 9. According to these articles, the red sandstone mill was built in 1879 by a Dutch immigrant named Schonhoff, on a farm 12 miles from Wamego. In 1925, after the mill had been idle for several years, it was donated by its owners, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Regnier, to Wamego. The mill was taken down, moved to the Wamego park and restored to its original design stone by stone, as a community project. The mill has been equipped with vanes and the roof recently restored through a donation by Robert Cox of Tulsa, a former Wamego resident. "The First County Seat of Pottawatomie County, Kansas" is the title of an article reviewing the early history of St. George, by William E. Smith of Wamego, which was printed in the Wamego Reporter, January 2, 1947. Notes from the article were also published in the St. Marys Star, January 9.

The Norcatur Dispatch began January 9, 1947, a weekly historical feature describing early-day life of the community. Articles on Norcatur churches included St. Marks Lutheran church and the Christian church, February 20, and the Methodist church, February 27. The settlement of the old Rockwell City neighborhood in northwestern Norton county was discussed March 6 and 13, and the Devizes community, March 20.

Sketches of the governors of Kansas and the terms they served, by Milton Tabor, were printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, January 12, 1947. There were ten territorial governors and Frank Carlson is the thirtieth chief executive since statehood. An article by Virg Hill on the monument near Lebanon in Smith county marking the geographic center of the United States, appeared in the Daily Capital, December 29, 1946. The geodetic center of the United States is on Meade's ranch in Osborne county.

A tribute to the late Dr. Charles M. Sheldon, author of In His Steps, by Dr. Charles W. Helsley, pastor of Central Congregational Church, Topeka, was published in the Topeka State Journal, January 13, 1947. Dr. Sheldon, first pastor of Central Congregational Church, read In His Steps chapter by chapter from the pulpit in the


earlier days of his pastorate. The Christian Herald in 1943 estimated 30,000,000 copies of In His Steps had been sold, Dr. Helsley said. A stone from Central Congregational Church in memory of Dr. Sheldon rests in the Walk of Fame at Rollins College, Winter Park, Fla.

The history of the Riley County Historical Association was sketched in an article in the Manhattan Tribune-News, January 16, 1947. Incorporation papers for the organization were filed with the secretary of state October 12, 1914. Clyde K. Rodkey is president of the association.

Publication of a weekly column, "Notes From the Early Days," sponsored by the Protection Historical Society, was started in the Protection Post, January 24, 1947. The material, compiled under the direction of Miss Ida Bare, historian of the society, includes reminiscences of Omer Gaylord regarding Comanche City, an abandoned towel in southwestern Comanche county, printed February 14, and early incidents in that county contained in a letter of James W. Dappert, civil engineer, written in 1942 at Taylorville, Ill., together with December, 1885, entries from Dappert's day book which he kept the greater part of his life. Publication of the Dappert ma terial began in the February 21 issue. Dappert describes his activities in supervising the excavation for a portion of the Kansas state house in 1884, surveying College Heights addition to Topeka, and work on the government resurvey of portions of Harper, Barber and Kingman counties. He also made a survey of Plano and preemption claims in the vicinity of Evansville, an abandoned town in Rumsey township, Comanche county.

Mrs. Ella Boyd Wormwood described her sod house on Boyd's ranch in Pawnee county in the 1870's in a narrative told to Miss Lois Victor of the Pawnee County Historical Society and printed in the Larned Chronoscope, and The Tiller and Toiler, February 6, 1947. Mrs. Wormwood also described the activities of her brother, Al Boyd, a member of the first board of county commissioners, who freighted to Fort Larned in 1866 and built a toll bridge for freighters at the Pawnee river ford at the foot of Jenkins' hill which became known as Boyd's crossing. A description of pioneer life, compiled from articles by the late Kelso G. Clark and his published interviews, appeared in The Tiller and Toiler, November 28, 1946. Reminiscences and experiences of other early settlers were published in that newspaper as follows: Mrs. J. B. Brown, November 7, 1946;


Mrs. Ava Gleason, January 16, 1947, and Mrs. Cora B. Nelson, February 20. The reminiscences of Mrs. Brown also appeared in the Chronoscope, November 14, 1946.

Community accomplishments in the past year were reviewed in an extensively illustrated "Achievement Edition" of 72 pages issued by the Winfield Daily Courier, February 10, 1947. Articles outlined bridge construction, agricultural production, 4-H club accomplishments, industrial and residential construction, aviation development, improvements at St. John's College, growth of Southwestern College and the improvement program at the state training school. There were brief historical sketches of Winfield churches, St. Mary's and William Newton Memorial hospitals, and Lutheran Children's Home. The issue included aerial views of Winfield and Strother field, and photographs of the colleges.

The history of Turner Hall, Marysville landmark, was sketched by Gordon S. Hohn in the Marshall County News, Marysville, February 20, 1947. The structure, dedicated on April 25, 1881, was the scene of most major political and social gatherings at Marysville in the 1880's and 1890's, and many dramatic companies appeared there. An addition to the building was erected in 1889 at a cost of $12,000. Turner Hall was deeded to the city of Marysville in 1941. A picture of the building, as it appeared after a portion of the west wall collapsed March 24, 1947, following high winds, was printed in the Marysville Advocate, March 27. Circumstances surrounding the invitation to Woodrow Wilson to address the Washington Day dinner of Kansas Democrats February 22, 1912, and his appearance in Topeka on that date, were described by Burt E. Brown in The Kansas Democrat, Topeka, February 21, 1947. Brown, president of the Washington Day club in 1912, said the Topeka address was Wilson's first speech of the campaign.

The Caldwell Messenger is observing the sixtieth anniversary of its founding. It was established as the Caldwell News on March 23, 1887, by Robert T. Simons. On January 13, 1928, the News was purchased by Harold A. Hammond, editor and publisher of the Caldwell Daily Messenger, and merged with the Messenger under the name of the Caldwell Daily Messenger and Caldwell News. The name of the publication was shortened to Caldwell Messenger in September, 1942. Doyle Stiles has been editor and publisher of the Messenger since December 14, 1942. The Daily Messenger was founded on February 28, 1920, by A. H. Hammond and Harold A. Hammond.